Obesity Surgery Facts
Conveniently located to serve Orange County, CA
Smart DIMENSIONS™ offers a compassionate program that provides comprehensive care and support to help morbidly obese patients in Los Angeles and Orange County learn the facts about obesity surgery.
From Our Experts
Obesity rates in the United States have steadily increased in recent decades. In our increasingly sedentary society one in five people is now obese. Being overweight has a severe impact on an individual’s quality of life, and it places a burden on society with increased health costs and lost production. Obesity surgery at our Orange County clinic helps patients lose significant weight so that they avoid the negative health and social effects of obesity. The Smart DIMENSIONS™ gastric bypass and LAP-BAND® or Realize System procedures, in concert with the exceptional support we provide patients in our surgical weight loss program, help our patients regain control of their health and their lives.
On this page, the gastric bypass and LAP-BAND® or Realize System surgery team provide facts about the health and social consequences of obesity and describe the benefits of losing weight so that you can better understand why losing significant weight is so important for someone who is obese.
Your Surgery will be performed by one of our bariatric surgeons in Fountain Valley, CA
The Health Risks of Obesity
To put it bluntly, obesity carries greater health risks than smoking or drinking. Obesity negatively affects the body and mind in a number of ways that greatly exceed the negative effects of alcohol or tobacco consumption. Carrying more than 100 pounds of excess weight almost inevitably leads to incapacitating health problems and psychological challenges. Obesity surgery performed by an Orange County Smart DIMENSIONS™ bariatric surgeon can help virtually any obese person lose the weight that poses such enormous health risks.
If you are obese, you should know that your excess weight can cause you to suffer a variety of severely debilitating ailments, including the following:
- Heart disease — Obese people suffer from atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) at a rate 10 times greater than the normal population. They are also at greater risk for coronary artery disease caused by fatty deposits in the arteries. Narrowed arteries can restrict blood flow, causing angina and putting the patient in greater danger of stroke due to trapped blood clots.
- High blood pressure — The workload of the heart is increased in those suffering from obesity because it must pump oxygen-bearing blood through the many additional blood vessels to feed the excess fat tissue. Additional circulating blood translates to increased pressure on artery walls, which increases overall blood pressure.
- Respiratory problems, including sleep apnea and/or obesity hypoventilation syndrome — Sleep apnea, repeated cessation of breathing during the night, and obesity hypoventilation syndrome (insufficient oxygen intake while sleeping) are common problems for obese people. These symptoms can cause heavy snoring at night and grogginess during the day, and they have been associated with high blood pressure.
- Diabetes — Obesity, even mild obesity, has been proven as a chief cause of Type 2 diabetes, which typically begins in adulthood. Resistance to insulin and consequent raised blood sugar levels can result from obesity as well.
- Osteoarthritis and other joint problems — Weight-bearing joints of the back, hips, and legs are constantly under stress from the excess weight of obesity. The result is constant pain and degeneration of the joints. Joint replacement surgery may not be an option because the artificial joint is at greater risk for damage.
- Cancer — Obesity puts women at greater risk for uterus, breast, and other cancers. Men have a greater prevalence of prostate and colon cancers.
- Menstrual irregularities — Women suffering from obesity may have irregular menstrual cycles or miss menses completely, which puts them at a much greater risk for stress fractures.
- Psychiatric problems — In the United States and increasingly throughout the world, thinness is associated with attractiveness and being overweight is disparaged and ridiculed. Obese people are often socially persecuted as being lazy and responsible for their condition. This can lead to severe depression and even mental instability.
The advanced obesity surgery solutions we offer at our Orange County Smart DIMENSIONS™ weight loss surgery practice help patients lose the significant weight necessary to eliminate or avoid the serious risks that obesity poses. If you are more than 75 pounds overweight, obesity surgery can help you get control of your life and avoid the dangers of obesity. Contact Smart DIMENSIONS™ today to learn more about how our procedures and programs can improve your health and your happiness.
The Social Effects of Obesity
In addition to the multitude of health problems that the obese patient faces, many social problems result from being overweight. These problems lead to isolation and increase the risk for depression and other emotional problems. Many patients elect to have obesity surgery at our Orange County Smart DIMENSIONS™ clinic because the social stigma of being extremely overweight causes them more pain than even their obesity-related physical ailments. Social problems associated with obesity include the following:
- Limited clothing choices — Stylish clothes are generally not an option for those suffering from obesity. The pleasure that so many people derive from clothes shopping becomes a painful ordeal for an obese person subjected to the rude stares and comments of other shoppers.
- Limited physical activity, including sexual activity — Many of our patients refuse to participate in outdoor or social physical activities because they fear stares and ridicule. They do not allow themselves to establish close relationships with others because of low self-esteem and fear of rejection.
- Limited choice of seating — This is especially a problem in public venues such as airplanes. Recently, airlines have been requiring excessively overweight individuals to purchase two tickets. Many of our patients will not fly because of this.
- Limited choice of occupations — Employment that requires physical endurance is simply not possible for most obese individuals. Also, although employment discrimination is illegal, an employer choosing from two similarly qualified candidates is often more likely to make a job offer to the candidate who is not obese.
- Social rejection — Society is cruel to those who are different. Children and insensitive adults get sport out of openly ridiculing obese individuals. This has a devastating effect on those subjected to the cruel comments and taunts.
A solution for many problems of obesity exists for those who have tried dieting and other methods of losing weight to no avail: obesity surgery. Our Orange County bariatric specialists perform LAP-BAND® or Realize System Adjustable Gastric Band surgery or gastric bypass surgery to help obese patients lose weight so they can rejoin society and enjoy the pleasures of activities that so many people take for granted. Our weight loss surgery gallery demonstrates just how effective our procedures are. Contact Smart DIMENSIONS™ today to begin the path back to the simple joys of life.
Your Surgery will be performed by one of our bariatric surgeons in Fountain Valley, CA
The Benefits of Losing Weight
After having obesity surgery and losing significant weight, our patients report many benefits. Their outlook on life improves greatly, and many of the medical problems they have experienced are reversed or halted. Just some of the benefits our patients report include the following:
- After losing weight, many patients require fewer diabetic and hypertensive medications, or they are able to stop taking the medications altogether.
- Joint and lower-back pain is alleviated or goes away completely.
- Patients who experienced sleep apnea find that the condition significantly improves or disappears after obesity surgery.
- Typically, self-esteem and self-image improve greatly. Our patients tell us that they begin to feel good about their physical appearance, and they no longer fear mirrors.
- Most patients feel much more energetic and capable of physical activity after obesity surgery. Many patients begin regular exercise regimens, and for the first time in years, they venture on trips and vacations.
- Patients who had isolated themselves become much more outgoing. They begin enjoying time at parks and other public venues. They go shopping, engage in social activities, and make new friends.
To learn more about obesity and your treatment options, visit the links below.
Contact Us to Learn More About Obesity Surgery in Orange County
If you are obese, there is no reason you must continue to suffer the physical and emotional hardships that your excess weight causes. Obesity surgery at our Orange County Smart DIMENSIONS™ practice, along with our excellent support programs, can allow you to experience the benefits of significant weight loss. Please call 714-861-4666 today to schedule your free initial consultation! Results may vary and we will help customize a solution specifically designed for you.